CSIRO’s new Reshaping Australian Food Systems roadmap, says the organisation, outlines ‘opportunities that could inform transition pathways towards a more sustainable, productive and resilient future and highlights research and actions that could support these goals’. The Roadmap identifies five focus areas for research and investment:
- enabling access to healthy and sustainable diets;
- minimising waste and improving circularity;
- facilitating Australia’s transition to net zero emissions;
- aligning resilience with socioeconomic and environmental sustainability; and
- improving value and productivity.
But driving this transition will require technological innovations across the entire food value chain, the organisation states, noting that investment, collaboration and digitalisation will be key enablers.
Source: Reshaping our food systems I CSIRO, June 2023